

Close observation might be used more for pattern identification and perhaps noticing lines and angles to talk about the different types they see and where they see what kind of lines or what kind of angles, but I feel if only using observation students will need more guidance as to what they are looking to focus on and may not identify these components consciously if just left to observations. Drawing or sketching as a follow up to close observation could lend to students naturally making more connections to the line and angle types present in their observations, and I think would be beneficial as a natural lead to inquiry for them instead of explicitly asking them head of time to look and think of the lines and angles, enabling the conversation to be more reflective.
An engaging way I think whole-body movement could lend to this experience would be trying to mimic observations through body movement. I find myself often thinking of how to gamify components of our activities (this year I have classes that love to turn things into a game or competition it seems) and I think of them taking time to do observations and sketching and then trying to be their objects to embody their lines, angles, and purpose. If I were to do this for the stacks (Tufts Cove Generating Station) I would stand up tall and have my arms going straight up with my hands bent at the wrist in towards each other palms down and would straighten my wrists and then return to the original position as if from the column created by my arms it was puffing out smoke this would be accompanied by a puffing sound. Could also be a collaborative body of movement done as groups with multiple people, similar to how the students in this weeks video Dancing Euclidean Proofs used collaborative movement between the two of them to turn three propositions from Euclid's Elements into dance.
I enjoyed this weeks activity and felt it really created a multidisciplinary experience. There was art with sketching, mathematical components of perspective, lines, angles, the connection to the world around us through doing this activity in place and outdoors, science with considering the living and non-living, and linguistic components in the writing of this blog post trying to describe and communicate my observations and experience. After reading Williams' Sustainability Education's Gift: Learning Patterns and Relationships (2016) I found myself with questions around implementation of interdisciplinary activities and how to connect across disciplines while keeping the value of the activity for math but not taking away from the other components. I appreciate that I did this activity after my reading as it helped bridge some connections for me through a direct example and a firsthand experience.


“They felt more "orderly" maybe in a way.” and “The lines of the living things I observed had a roundness to them”
ReplyDeleteYou describe well the patterns Doolittle (2018) find in living things and nonliving things. Doolittle (2018) argues that the omnipresence of grids in our society is mainly due to this perception of ‘order’ and control it gives to humans. Now, I wonder if I could find some counter-examples in my community (human-made things that have curves). So far, I found some artwork and a new boardwalk the community build recently, which serpentine in the taiga.
This made me realize how much of what I teach is about straightness, sharp angles, grids, etc. I even teach this idea of control by having to make my students round at the second decimal. Now, I want to try to incorporate more of roundness and fluidity when I can to counterbalance the omnipresence of the grid. I think sketching and looking at natural shapes are a great way to start.
Reference
Doolittle, E. (2018). Off the grid. In Gerofsky, S. (Ed.), Geometries of liberation. Palgrave. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-72523-9_7
We had very similar observations while sketching living vs non-living. I really appreciated you reflection on just how multidisciplinary this activity really was. I didn't consider as many disciplines as you described, so thank you for sharing that!
ReplyDeleteI really love how you did multiple small sketches, I took a different approach to this activity by drawing the "scene" I saw, digesting it as I drew. Perhaps adding details that were not relevant to this activity.
Thank you for sharing Colleen, I really enjoyed reading this!! :)