After the ups and downs of the Hexaflexagon I got out the rocket candies and decided to just start playing with them and see where I ended up, Vi Harts video was vary fast paced but felt very playful so I wanted to let myself experience the natural flow of experiencing the materials. I found myself thinking of how to consider symmetry with the rockets. I arranged them in various ways thinking about how many lines of symmetry each arrangement gave, considering the initial ones I gravitated to and their structure, which initially followed very clear lines of consideration for lines of symmetry along x and y axes before I tried to branch into more patterned arrangements. Some arrangements were made with eyes open before letting myself close my eyes to focus on and consider the feel. Followed by trying to create some arrangements of symmetry with my eyes closed considering what this experience might feel more like for students who don't have the sight. Throughout this I gave little consideration for colour of the rockets in the arrangement thinking more about the feel of symmetry and the overall patterns that could be created with them, while I do not have any students currently who are blind or with limited sight, I have had students who had colour blindness. and with so many hues of the rocket candies being similar I felt it was not something I wanted as a central focus to this activity though it could be incorporated with the symmetrical arrangements if desired.
Focusing on the experience of the activities from the videos was different than I expected. In particular I was surprised with how many challenges I had with the hexaflexagon. I felt more confused when I was making it than I did watching the videos feeling I could visualize what was happening well until I was attempting it. I believe that the experience of learning from real 3D things, object, with shape, texture, etc., make the learning more memorable, and easier to recall for students later on when their learning involves a more experiential or tactile component. I started the geometry unit with my grade 8 students this past week and I start off our exploration of nets with a dissection activity where students look at and hold wooden 3D objects, create a hypothesis for what they think the net might look like, and then they dissect paper versions of the 3D objects (cylinders, pyramids with various bases, rectangular prisms, triangular prisms, cones, and cubes with a jolly rancher hidden inside) and they compare their resulting nets with their hypotheses. I had a discussion with some of my students that are now in grade 9 about the activity as I was preparing for it and they clearly recalled that day and experiment where as often when working with them if I remind them of a concept we covered they are not as consistent in recalling those lessons. The tactile component of mathematical experiences can present challenges such as in supporting all students through the experience and making the intended connections, as well as considerations for what resources/materials are available for teachers and students to have these experiences. I think there is great benefit to using hands on activities and experiments, it can support students who have sensory impairment to have another route of connection to the materials, ideas, and concepts related to the experiments/activities and it can support other students to strengthen and/or broaden their understanding and connection making.









Thank you for the tasty post! There is an old article about the mathematics of hexaflexagons that you may enjoy: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/flexagons/. A neat historical note: Richard Feynman studied hexaflexagons as a graduate student, and the way flexagon states can be mapped with diagrams is sometimes cited as an early precursor to “Feynman diagrams.” It’s a fun reminder that playful, hands-on puzzling can connect to very formal mathematics—and even to tools used in modern physics.
ReplyDelete